Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Wanted: RECIPES

You are not reading a culinary whiz's blog. I merely wish I had the knife skills of my food network heros, their know-how, creativity, or their seemingly innate ability to put together the perfect combination of ingredients. I wouldn't know where to get fondant in the first place, and even if I could get my hands on some, I wouldn't know what to do with it. I'd most likely end up on here. 3/4 of my experimentations end up begrudingly shoved down my throat (because let's face it, I can't afford to waste food--even bad food), and the rest ends up covered with disdain in a Ziploc container, just waiting to be consumed by the garbage disposal.

That being said, I've been trying a lot of new foods and recipes lately. My latest successes have been lentil soup, squash casserole, and a recipe my friend Anna sent me called African peanut stew. All of these trials have taught me that I am really good at following a recipe (and making spaghetti, but really the only experimenting I do there is with different combinations of veggies to throw in there, and I think the difficulty that comes with screwing up spaghetti is beyond my ability level...thank goodness).

So please, reader(s), send me your recipes! Browsing the food network website isn't always reliable, and I love sharing recipes with people. In fact, I'll start the sharing. Here is the recipe from the Nance family (that would be my mom's side of the family, for you non-related folks floating around this blog) for banana pudding. I guess you could call it Ba-Nance-a Pudding!! (I'm almost positive this recipe is pretty common, but as far as recipes go, I wouldn't really know!)

Ingredients:

Instant Vanilla Pudding (NOT the sugar free kind)
About 4-5 bananas
A box of Nilla Wafers (insert copywright symbol here)
2 cups of milk (I think 2 is right--I always just look on the back of the pudding box where the directions are, and subtract the given amount by one cup.)
the Large tub of Cool Whip
a large can of Eagle brand condensed milk

Combine the pudding mix, the milk, and the condensed milk--it's easiest to use an electric mixer her. Mix in the cool whip with a spatula. Start making a layer of Wafers on the bottom of casserole dish--it doesn't really matter the size or shape. Add a layer of sliced bananas, then add a layer of pudding mix. Do this (wafers, nanners, pudding) until the dish is filled, then top it with the rest of the pudding mixture. We always made a border around the dish with wafers, so it sort of looking like a banana pudding crown, and then used the crumbles at the bottom of the box to sprinkle over the top of the pudding. In other words, don't be stingy with the wafers.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me miss our dinner parties at Ben's AND that banana pudding!

    ReplyDelete