Friday, February 6, 2009

And the heavens opened up and said, "Hi there, Hillary!"

A great amount of fortune shone my way this sixth of February, in the year of our Lord, two thousand and nine.

First, the great city of Nashville, TN experienced 60-degree weather today. It was sunny with a perfect breeze. Enough of that.

Foremost, today was the day that I would venture toward downtown to purchase tickets to the Flight of the Conchords show. Tickets were supposed to go on sale at 10:00, so a coworker of mine, Ellen, and I decided to go buy our tickets at the Ryman, and like the fans that we are, we planned to get there at 9:20 or so. We arrived at the Ryman auditorium, and found out (through eavesdropping, because that is the best source for pertinent information) that there would be a lottery for the tickets. GREAT. We get there early, only so we can have the chance of getting tickets. 10 'til 10, a young man who looks sort of like Jon Hamm announces that he's going to call the ticket numbers out and to go stand in line at one of the 3 windows when you hear your number. He calls the first number. He calls the second number. It's me! I won the lottery (I was 1st at the 2nd window)! Well, that's nice. Now it's time to buy the "best available" tickets you can get for $42.50 (that was the price for all of the tickets, after internet several pre-sales have already gone on). I get my tickets, and start heading out the door. I don't have the time to be around all these people who are probably staring at me because I was first in the 2nd line, and who are probably performing secret voodoo curses on me as I head toward the door. That lobby was pretty small to have 50+ impatient people waiting in it.
"Wait," Ellen says. "Let's see where we are sitting." Even though the ticket says something about a folding chair, which means we'll probably be shoved somewhere in the back behind some column or some commemorative statue of Conway Twitty.
The smily bald man with the map of the Ryman auditorium beckons us toward him. We show him our tickets and he says...

"Oh, that's the first row!"

Oh my god. What? Am I sweating?

So there you have it. Luck shined down on us today, and gave us front row seats to see Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie at the Ryman auditorium. I should never think I'd be so lucky!

And they let you take cameras into the Ryman.

-Hillary

No comments:

Post a Comment