Thursday, March 26, 2009

Updates on the school front

Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday of this week all consisted of a whirlwind of traveling, campus-visiting, and time with family and friend. (That's supposed to be singular, haha!)

Sunday, Mom and I made the 7 1/2 hour drive to Columbia, South Carolina, so I could visit the campus where gamecocks walked around and palm trees were in pots. It was a very pretty campus--the houses and buildings around reminded me of the seaside in Charleston: pastel colors, big windows, an older style of architecture. Like I said, the campus was beautiful, but of course, the humanities building was a big ugly cement structure, with slits for windows! (Don't feel bad, SC fans--it seems that almost every building with "Humanities" in the title is destined to look like a delapidated cement fortress.) Regardless of its seemingly drab appearances, the program was awesome. I also got to visit briefly with Danielle, which was so much fun!

Monday night after the visit, Mom and I then drove to Knoxville (a measley 4 hours northwest of Columbia) and met Mark and his lovely gf for some late supper. Because I didn't think we would be driving in until Tuesday morning, all of my appointments with UT were in the afternoon, so we all were able to sleep in! (ahhhhhhh). So around 2:00, I visited the bustling campus and another sand-colored cement building (which actually had nice sized windows...) for a few chats with faculty and grad students. UT also has a great program, so this will make my decision for the fall even more thought out.

Mom and I made the drive back to Nashville Tuesday night, and this weekend's itinery will be about the same as last's: visit two programs and ask lots of questions. Only this time, the programs are on the same campus! (I found out this past Saturday that I was admitted into the Center for the Studies of Southern Culture program at Ole Miss! yay!)

I will also be visiting friends in Jackson at Thomas' fraternity's alumni event, and I am looking forward to that immensely. See y'all in Mississipp-ay!

No comments:

Post a Comment